Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Problems With Mind Reading Super Powers

    If I could have a super power I would like to be able to read minds. No, this doesn't stemm from some deep seeded need to feel like a Twilight character (gag.) But seriously think about it! If you could read peoples' minds life would be so much easier. Or so you would think.
    For instance lets say you have an upcoming test- dont study like a procrastinator, stay up watching The Bachelor, Big Bang Theory, whatever (pick your poison) finally decide to glance at your notes and end up cuddling up with your note book for a 1 hour power nap. Wake up late, get to school unprepared and zombie-like. But wait! You can read minds, you manage to still get answers. Problem: who knows the kind of "answers" you will have transmitted into your head. Maybe the only people in your mental range are blatantly stupid, or in the same boat as you? What if their thoughts are somewhere else? What if you were more confused than when you started? Or (gasp) what if you are paying so little attention you put these answers down?
    Situation 2: You're trying to figure out how to impress someone, like for a job interview. You would be able to figure out what to say when to say it and how to deliver it. No awkward um and ahs or twiddling of thumbs. Plus you'd be able to get their attention instead of them sweeping you unceremoniously out the door, not unlike someone would sweep dirt under a floor rug. Problem: if you could hear them mentally ticking off all the things you were doing wrong, what they didnt like about your first impression and the assumptions they were making it would be a little unnerving. Plus depending on who you are this could start a fight. Personally I dont take kindly to much judgement. Immagine their surprise. Oh yeah, you'd be sure to get that job...
      Mind reading would be awesome and informative (too much so occasionally I bet) and would get you into all sorts of amusing situations. However I think there are things that we dont know for a reason, thank heavens.


-Clem.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if, when we die, we'll have this power. I think I will. I laughed out loud (exhaled through my nose) when you described the problems in the test taking scenario. LOLETMN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha well good, I'm glad I at least caused you to breathe. (Exhaling through my nose)#inamusement

      Delete